It’s almost summer, school will be out soon and summer vacation season will be in full swing. Families will be traveling to beaches, water parks, and campgrounds. Educating your family about water safety is one of the best life lessons you can teach. If you are not able to instruct your child to swim, contact the local Red Cross and find out about lessons near you. Have a safe and fun summer! Click the link for additional information about water safety.
Tips when swimming:
- Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
- Always swim with a buddy; do not allow anyone to swim alone.
- Avoid distractions when supervising children around water.
- Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets around water, but do not rely on life jackets alone.
- Protect your skin. Limit the amount of direct sunlight you receive between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and wear sunscreen with a protection factor of at least 15.