There are many health and safety issues agricultural workers are exposed to including respiratory, environmental, health and safety hazards. Vehicle rollovers, heat exposure, hazardous equipment, and pesticides are just a few of the hazards ag workers encounter. Most people think of agriculture as riding a tractor through the fields, but the job is so much more. When working around moving equipment, employees need to be aware if the driver can see them. Employers need to make sure all employees are trained and up-to-date on machine certifications . Here are suggestions for injury prevention in the most common injuries.
- Drink water, stay well hydrated
- Rest in the shade
- Wear a hat and light colored clothing
Hazardous Equipment and Machinery
- Use equipment according to the manufacturers’ instructions
- Wear proper personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Make sure guards or shields are in place
Ladders and Falls
- Guard floor holes where employees could accidentally walk (railings or hole cover)
- Harness and line, safety nets
- Stair railings and hand rails
Click the links below to read more about Agriculture and Natural Resources industry injuries.